Building and Safety
Building & Safety’s mission is to ensure that the campus built environment is safe and that new construction projects or modifications to existing structures comply with UC Policy, and California Building, Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing Codes, and other Federal, and State of California regulations or mandates
Building & Safety is a part of the Department of Planning Design & Construction, and is managed by the UCR Campus Building Official (CBO).
The Campus Building Official is responsible for the issuance of campus building permits, plan review and inspections for all construction, alterations, and demolition, renovation, repair, replacement, and maintenance projects requiring a permit, in accordance with Section 105 of the California Building Standards Code.
No building or structure regulated by code shall be constructed, altered, enlarged, improved, or converted without the approval of the Campus Building Official and the Designated Campus Fire Marshal. Approval is granted by issuance of a Building Permit.
Building & Safety departmental goals are to:
- To enforce California Building Standard Code Compliance.
- Provide timely plan review and issue the required campus Building Permits
- Conduct timely inspections of construction activities
- Create and maintain a safe campus environment
- Provide excellence in service to the campus community